WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR HOME OWNERSHIP AT THIS TIME.
However, after reading through the information and criteria below, if you feel you would qualify, please call our office and let us know you’d like to be “added to the waiting list.”
Siouxland Habitat for Humanity (SHFH) is a hand up, not a hand out. Initial qualification to become a SHFH Partner Family (homeowner) is based on three main criteria: need, willingness to partner and ability to pay.
Our Current Construction Projects:
Click here to hear the story of this Homeownership
8th Ave., NW, Sioux Center, IA
Need is determined by the applicants’ current housing. Questions asked about current housing include:
– Is the current housing substandard or unsafe, or in need of excessive repair?
– Is the current housing overcrowded? (this can be in regard to the size of the family specifically or the overall building/community in which you live.)
– Is the current rent too high for your income?
– Do you or a family member have accessibility issues at your current residence?
– Have you tried looking for other housing?
Willingness to Partner
SHFH partner families are required to perform “sweat equity,” or volunteer labor, as an upfront investment in SHFH after they’ve been accepted into the program, but before they can close on their home. Two-adult households will need to do a minimum of 500 hours and one-adult households will need to do a minimum of 350 hours. All families must be willing to live where SHFH is currently building and be willing to continue the “partner” spirit of SHFH even after they close on their home.
Ability to Pay
The applicants’ ability to pay is assessed based on the following:
– Applicant’s credit-worthiness
– Stability of family income
– Applicant’s work record
– Applicant’s income must be between 40-80% of the area median income, depending on the family size. See chart here.
– Applicant must have a manageable debt to income ratio
– Applicant’s must be two years past discharge of bankruptcy
– Applicant’s credit report must be free of any judgments or liens
– Applicant must have one year (12 months) of rental history
If you currently own your own home, you do not qualify for this program. SHFH ONLY builds on property owned by SHFH and sells those homes through no-profit and no-interest loans. You must have lived in the Siouxland area for at least a year prior to applying for the program and must not be able to qualify for a conventional loan.
Must live or work in the community (or within 10 miles) of the build site of the homes.
Must NOT be able to be approved for a conventional loan from a bank.
Please note, this list is not all inclusive. Its purpose is only to give a general idea of whether you may qualify for a Habitat home.
SHFH provides equal housing opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
If you’re looking for assistance with paying your rent or paying a security deposit for an apartment, visit www.sioux-city.org/housing.